Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What to do!

ABC, NBC, CBS, MTV, VH1, Nick, Disney, Animal Planet, Cartoon Network, we all have access to these television stations but should your children? If our children do watch tv shows not suited for their age, will it affect them negatively?


So how should we stop our children from watching what they shouldn't watch? Do we shelter them? Smother them with happy go lucky ideas? Well considering I am not a parent I decided to interview my mom's best friend. 

Me: Do your children watch tv? 
Lisa: Of course ha! They watch tv all the time, their like little zombies. 
Me: What does Trey watch? 
Lisa: Trey really enjoys the crime scene stuff. You know..CSI and stuff similar to that show.
Me: Oh yeah I love that show! Well does Sydney also watch CSI?
Lisa: Oh no! Syds only 11, that show would scare her to death!
Me: Why do you say that?
Lisa: Amanda, Sydney is only 11. That show is definitely meant to be aimed at older teens and adults. Trey is 17 and is fully aware that it is all fake and it's just there to excite him. Sydney's mind just isn't really ready to watch 'trama' like that.
Me: So what does Sydney watch? Do you censor what she watches? 
Lisa: No not really actually, I do make sure she does not watch R rated movies or any shows I believe would be appropriate. If I was there of course.
Me: What about when your no there?
Lisa: I'm sure that she watches shows with her brother while I am not home but I don't think that could really      effect her as much because she is not watching it all the time. 
Me: Do you block any channels? 
Lisa: No, our children are free to watch any channel with our permission. Although if I here something like, Family Guy I tell Trey to change the channel! That show isn't even suited for kids his age!
Me: Do you think what your children watch could have an effect on how they act?
Lisa: Of course, but ultimetly it's the parents that raise children not television shows. I think you shouldn't let your children watch whatever they like but you don't need to completely shelter them. 

How do you want to raise your children? Will you shelter them? Let them run wild? These questions run through parents minds everyday. In the end I believe that it's not the shows children watch, it really is how they are raised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment